Home » Coffee With Experts, Google

Coffee With Naga Naresh Karuturi – An Inspiration for many!

14 August 2008 33 Comments

Hey All,

Its time for a special episode on Coffee With Experts!! Today, We have a person, who has made it to Google inspite of all odds against him. Its my pleasure welcome Naga Naresh Karuturi from IIT Madras for a show on Coffee With Sundar!!

You might wonder, what were the odds against him.. Read this article on rediff.com

Naresh is special. His parents are illiterate. He has no legs and moves around in his powered wheel chair.

Naga Naresh

Isnt Naresh Inspiring? Here is a small chit chat with Naresh!!

Coffee With Naga Naresh Karuturi
Me: Sundar Rajan G S
NN: Naga Naresh

Me: Hi Naresh, welcome to CWS.. How do you feel when got into Google?
NN: Thank you for inviting me on your talk show …. I was very happy .. now enjoying my time working there ….

Me: How was your experience at IIT Madras. Did you face any difficulties in academics or life @ IITM.. How did you handle it.. How was ur social life.. friend circle etc.
NN: Life at IIT Madras was one of the most amazing experiences … I would term it more as a learning experience …. I did not face any difficulties in academics or life @ IITM … all the classes are arranged such that I will not have any accessibilty problems .. even if some classes are arranged at a place where I will have difficulty attending them … the faculty got them shifted as soon as possible .. I have a lot of very good friends … some of them are MTech, PhD ..

I would say the people with whom you can interact in IIT will have a lot of impact on you …whether it is academic or social life .. I learned a lot from them …

Me: At any point in time, did you feel bad about people showering too much concern on him ? Does it hurt you in any way ?
NN: of course .. too much of anything does not taste good … rather they hurt .. I would term it as discomfort … I shouldn’t get hurt (feel bad) when someone shows concern .. I try to just realise how good they are .. if possible convey them that there is no reason for concern ( which I never did 🙂 … if my parents are there with me .. they take up this job 🙂 ) ..

Me: What’s your future plans and aspirations?
NN: I prefer to have short term goals. I feel one can be more focussed then. Currently, I feel that the best course of action for me is to focus on the task at hand

Me: What are your passions? What drives you to do what you have done?
NN: I don know how to answer this.. 🙂 Yet to identify one.. it is the same as for any student i think 🙂

Me: Can you talk about some significant moments in your life? Is there anything in his past life that you wish to revert ? or wish that it had not happened ?
NN: Significant moments.. lots of them.. my accident.. 10th class.. JEE exam.. 7th sem and lots more moments… Why I meant JEE, 7th sem are important because .. those are the times when major things happened .. like I cleared JEE ..so got into IIT .. in my 7th sem I decided to take up a job instead going for higher studies … these are times which moulded my future and there is no time in past which I wish to change .. Whatever has happened is happened… I look forward to future..

Me: Naresh, Do you have any thoughts to share with Specially abled children & their parents on how well they can bring them up as a usual person?
NN: May be they could look around to find out what the sharpest of their friends or seniors are doing and ask themselves if the physical challenge they have is really a deterrent for achieving the same. For intellectual pursuits, the answer is mostly ‘no’.

I feel how they come up in life depends a lot on family and friends. The people around should ensure that he is not given any special treatment unless there is a necessity for it. They should make him feel that he is not any less capable. I will give my life in school as an example. I was punished all the same as my friends were. No special sympathy showered. But I was carried to my classroom by my friends – this I needed. This is just an example Even my parents treated me on par with my sister. I am going to places where I can’t go by myself with others help. Apart from this, I feel that I am not getting special treatment in things which I don’t require any special treatment. This kind of behavior helps those children a lot. this is my perception .. it may vary from person to person .. bcoz physical challenges are not same for all

Me: How are you handling the publicity that you have got! I am sure, you would have got a lot of mails and scraps. How do find this situation?
NN: Good question. I am beginning to feel the pinch now. In the first interview, I enjoyed talking as I was free then. I was full of spirit in speaking to the press for the first time. But now there are other important things that are piling up. Also, telling the same story again and again is boring. In particular, it raises some doubts as to whether I have done something significant to speak so much. I feel that the newspapers interview me not because I have done something different but because I was different and have done a normal thing. So I should work now and make sure next time they talk about me is bcoz I have done something different 🙂

Me: Wow!! Thats awesome… Doing something different.. What is the msg that would like to convey to CWS readers?
NN: From my stay in IIT, I have learnt that one has to prioritize his/her jobs wisely. If this is done systematically, in course of time one can see the amazingly large quantum of work carried out by him. But I learnt it the hard way 🙁 May be you people should learn from my mistake..

Thanks a lot Naga Naresh!! I am sure you are going to a great inspiration for many of us.. All the best for your future.. Hope you accomplish a lot of things @ Google!!Readers, Hope you enjoyed this edition of Coffee With Experts! For previous episodes of Coffee with Experts, click here.

Comments

comments

• Vishnu said:

A great and motivating post…

• Harshit said:

Hello Sundar can you please pass on Naga Naresh’s email id to me.

Regards,

Harshit

• Muthukrishnan said:

can u plz send naga suresh mail id and contact number to my mail.

• priya vinod said:

Hi,
    I want Naga naresh’s email id. I work for Ability Foundation and want to contact Naresh for an interview.
    Regards,
    Priya

• Venkat said:

Hello Sundar can you please send me Naga Naresh’s email id.

Regards,
    Venkat

• Harjeet Singh said:

Hi, I want to contact Naresh because I am also disable (Left Leg effected with Polio) & want to share my views with him. He can also go through my mini site created by me. Contact me plz. Thanks Harjeet Singh, Lucknow. M: 9918102101

• sudhir.m.naga said:

i wanna to make frenship with naga brother plz plz send his email and mobile number to my address

• lakshmi said:

Dear sir

I am a Lecturer and I would like to invite him for a guest lecture at our college . I feel that it would be more convincing and motiviating , so Could u please mail me his id so that i could contact him

thanks & regards
    lakshmi

• Lohith said:

hi,

thanks for the Interwiew….
    Will carry on his words… 🙂
    He is an INSPIRATION 🙂

regards,
    Lohi

• Brenda Hoddinott said:

Dear Naga,

Thank you so very much for sharing your story. You have touched many hearts with your courage and determination. I shall share your story with my grandson, who will no doubt be as inspired as I am.

You, dear young man, have been blessed with the ability to create your own good luck, and I wish you the very best in your professional and personal life.

Brenda

• Sundar Rajan G S (author) said:

Thanks Brenda. Absolutely, naga is an inspiration 🙂

• ishu said:

dear,brother
    today in school i have leaned about u. ur so great and ur very luky person in the world

ishu

• manu said:

“I feel that the newspapers interview me not because I have done something different but because I was different and have done a normal thing. So I should work now and make sure next time they talk about me is bcoz I have done something different”

this statement reflects ur attitude…..i have no more words to praise that suits u the best….

• abhishek said:

hii naga,
    today at a workshop in my college SASTRA University i learnt abt u….u really r very bold,cheerful guy i have ever known….ur last line”From my stay in IIT, I have learnt that one has to prioritize his/her jobs wisely. If this is done systematically, in course of time one can see the amazingly large quantum of work carried out by him.”
    i gt eye opening lesson of life…really a man cn do large amount of work if done systematically…
    cheers for u……al d best in ur future ventures.

• sheetal said:

Hello All,

Can anyone give me the contact details of Mr Naga Naresh Karuturi.

I am an MBA student and we are organising an inspirational session
    of many extraordinary persons at our college.There is lot from him we students can learn.

plz help me find his contact details.

Regards

sheetal

• Deepthi said:

Hello Sundar,

Thank u so much for providing this article.I need naga’s mail id and contact details could u plz provide this.

Thanks & Regards

Deepthi.Nemalikanti

• rinu said:

naresh’s life is really inspiring !!!! v need role models lik lik him……v all r amazed!!!!!!!!! i need to cintact him…

• Naresh said:

Hi Mr.Sunder,
    Thank you very much for sharing your story,he is good man.god bless u naga naresh….i will prayer to god….

Thanks & Regards
    Naresh

• phani teja vempeti said:

i wanna to make frenship with naga brother plz plz send his email

• phani teja vempeti said:

i want
    to make frenship with naga brother plz plz send his email

• Naresh said:

very good
    huner ko dikhya ja shata h

• raj said:

i wanna to make frenship with naga. plz send his email and mobile number to my address

• dr kumar kvs said:

It is a motivational interview. Excellent post

• gurupdesh.net said:

Hez so inspiring .. 😀

• chandu said:

hi naresh,how r u this is chandu,,all the best ra..

• Dr.M.Muthukrishnan artist said:

Thanjavur style paintings are famous for their beauty and exactitude. Although ther are many talented artists for Tanjavur paintings, creations of only a few have divinity and reality.
    With the blessings of the great divine sage Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharishi, over the past 15 years Artist Dr. Muthukrishnan has been creating traditional Thanjavur paintings maintaining is characteristics mark. His paintings are divine, lively and are comparable to the grace and divinity of the temple deities.

At Thanjai Ramana Arts & Crafts, we not only make Thanjavur art paintings, but also make Modern Arts and teach that ancient art to anyone who has the interest to lear n it.
    Ramana Arts & Crafts sells the thanjavur pinting of the artist Dr. M. Muthukrishnan. He is from a traditional background. His family is involved in thanjavur painting for hundreds of years. He and his brother are doing thanjavur painting in Chennai.

His paintings have been purchased by people from UK, USA, Japan, South Africa,Singapore, Malaysia, Nigeria, New Zealand, etc., In India, particularly in Tamil Nadu his paintings adore the pooja/Prayer rooms of cutstomer. Besides traditional Tanjavurpaintings, divine figures of God and Goddess have been created by as per “Samudrika Lakshnam”. The speciality of these paintings is that the eyes look realistic as if they are looking at the viewers, wherever they are positioned.

His ambition is to ‘Create a Creative Community’ for Disabled people in the society.

Experience + Add a position

Founder & Managing Trustee Edit
    Jayam Charitable Trust(JCT)
    July 2011 – Present (1 year 4 months) Chennai Area, India

Previous:
    Past 15 years Artist Dr. Muthukrishnan has been creating traditional Thanjavur paintings and maintaining his characteristics mark. His paintings are divine, lively and are comparable to the grace and divinity of the temple deities.
    Ramana Arts & Crafts sells the thanjavur pinting of the artist Dr. M. Muthukrishnan. He is from a traditional background. His family is involved in thanjavur painting for hundreds of years. He and his family members are doing thanjavur painting in Chennai. To his credit, his thanjavur paintings has been sold worldwide.. And to tell a few, his thanjavur paintings has been kept in London, US. He is one of the honorable Doctorate in the world for Thanjavur Painting Artist, “he got the Doctor of Letters for his Brilliant Creation of Divine Paintings Especially Thanjavur School of Paintings” from The International Tamil University, Maryland,USA. According to one Alumni Talk about Dr. M.Muthukrishnan, while speaking of paintings an excited Muthukrishnan says, “Trying different ideas that have not been tried enthuses me very much. God created us and I am creating God through my paintings.”.

At present:

My ambition is to ‘Create Creative Community’ and my Vision is- to initiate, to innovate and to integrate the people, especially Disabled people. As a first step in this direction, I have started ‘Jayam Charitable Trust(JCT) 2011 to create a source of Income for Disable people and have evolved a Nutrition and Art therapy to create awareness on Nutritional intake along with training in making Tanjore paintings.

“Charity is not a solution”. People need skills to earn their living independently so I have started the JCT for giving skill Training (Thanjavurpainting) and Art & Nutritional Therapy is a best way for themselves for sustained life in the society.

I have used first Art and Nutritional Therapy for disabled people in the India. It helps to Innovate the Disabled people and helps to Integrated with the Society.
    Ask for recommendations
    Founder & Managing Trustee at JCT Edit
    Jayam Charitable Trust(JCT)
    July 2011 – September 2012 (1 year 3 months) Chennai Area, India

Jayam Charitable Trust(JCT)

• Dr.M.Muthukrishnan artist said:

Honors and Awards:
    He is the first artist to be awarded a doctorate degree for his brilliant creation of divine paintings, especially Thanjavurpainting, by the International Tamil University, Maryland,USA.
    He has also won the Kalai Vendan award for best Thanjavur Painting Artist by Tamil Nadu Film Fraternity, and the
    Seva Rathna award in recognition of his Social initiatives.
    Personal Information Edit

Phone:
    9884431057 (mobile)
    Address:
    #3 Ambika Street, Muthumariamman Nagar, Near swamy school, Porur, Chennai- 600116.
    India

• Angelo said:

My dear Naga Naresh,

Greetings from Angelo Didla, the former administrator of Kinder Care Home, Pragathinagar, Tanuku. Hope, you remember me. We were staying in your house as tenants.

Today, about you the article published in “Sakshi” daily newspaper. I read it very carefully and was happy about your position in California. God bless you.

We are staying in Eluru. My son Nicola is also completed his M.S. in automobile Engineering in Caventry University, London. If possible you can search a for him through google?

I pray for your entire family. Please, visit my organisation website: http://www.trace-india.org

Love
    Angelo Didla
    TRACE organisation
    Door No.15-104
    Vidyanagar
    Eluru-534 007
    W.G.Dt. A.P. India.

• jyothi said:

hi sir….
    this is jyothi from karnataka im also like you now am teacher in highschool..kindly send your mail id ….

• suvendu kumar nath said:

i am inspired with your courage $ ability i am also a handicapped person it true from you that handicapped also the ability to do anything in the world

• lg nexus 4 ceni said:

Hello! Quick question that’s entirely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My blog looks weird when browsing from my iphone 4. I’m
    trying to find a template or plugin that might be able to resolve this issue.
    If you have any recommendations, please share. With thanks!

• Manjula said:

Hai,
    Naga naresh anna is a great inspiration person to all.I would like to make friendship with naga naresh anna.If Anyone know the naga naresh anna mail id and mobile number,please send to my email address.

He is a roll model to us.Yesterday My one of the professor gave the lecture about him.I have no words to say…wish you all success in your life….thank you so much to CWS.

• hamini said:

hats off to u bro..ur a great inspiration for us…!!! i’m eagerly waiting to meet u and speak to u…