Home » Uncategorized

Please wait while windows configures Microsoft office professional edition 2003

9 June 2008 32 Comments

Does your computer crib “Please wait while windows configures Microsoft office professional edition 2003” whenever you open word or excel or any other microsoft office product??

Does it ask for SKU111.cab??

Well! My laptop was cribbing..

Here is a neat way to fix it even WITHOUT A CD

1. Click on start==>run==>type
excel /s

2. Once Excel is up in safe mode with the error message in front, press ctrl+Alt+Delete keys on your keyboard to bring the task manager up.

3. Click on the processes tab==>look for msiexec.exe (only the one next to your user name), click on it and end the process.

4. Excel should be running without an error message now==>close Excel in safe mode==>reopen it one more time in safe mode to check if it in opening with no error message.

5. Close Excel /s and open Excel normally, it should work fine.

After you do this, all your microsoft office softwares will work fine..

Comments

comments

• Anonymous said:

very blah. u live upto ur expectations even in tech post

• me said:

done

• Pete said:

Sundar,

I am having the same problem and your instuctions did not yield to solution.

Thanks,

• Al said:

Your solution worked perfectly. Thank you.

• jan said:

It did not work, sorry. Still that message when I open Word 2007

• Jan said:

I found the simple solution:
    >Control Panel
    >Add or remove Programs
    >select for office 2007
    >choose “change”
    >select: add or remove functions
    >continue

PROBLEM SOLVED

• Howard L. McHenry said:

I run a Computer Repair Shop and see this problem all the time. Thanks at least how much our govrnment gave away last week!

• Mick Blu said:

None of the myriad suggestions (including those from Microsoft) worked. This one works 100% Hallelujah!

The solution is to re-register Excel / Word etc. with Windows

You can use this method to cause Excel to rewrite all of its configuration data in the registry. This effectively sets Excel back to the “factory defaults”. From the Windows Start menu, choose Run, and enter:

Excel.exe /UnregServer

As before, you may have to use the full file name rather than just Excel.exe. After you have done this, repeat it but change /UnregServer to /RegServer. When you issue these commands, Excel will start, manipulate its configuration data in the system registry, and then close. If you receive a Success message on the /RegServer, try to start normally. If Excel starts properly, that means there was an invalid entry in the registry. No further action is required.

• Paul said:

Thanks Mick, this one worked for me after I tried about 5 other so-called solutions. Doing the Unreg and Reg with Excel.exe seemed to fix the issue with all of the office programs not just excel. Thanks again.

• JC said:

Thank you, this worked!.

For me, I only had to do the following…

1. Click on start==>run==>type
    excel /s

Once I ran excel in safe mode I didn’t get the error mesage… restarted Excel/Word etc and did not receive the error again.

Thank you!!

• Jason Terando said:

Try checking your event log. With this symptom, I also got a warning event in the Application log about a missing registry value called “UserData”. If this is the cause of your pain, the event log message will tell you what registry value to create. Just go to that registry key (ex. HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word or HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel or HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook) and create a DWORD value called “UserData” with a value of 1.

• nolie said:

tQ bro..it’s work…

• WillyMac said:

The ONLY solution that worked for me out of about 12 to 15 solutions suggested was Jason Terando’s!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WELL DONE Jason Terando!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was great. Thank you!

Finally a real professional!!!!

If you have this problem, trust that Jason’s advice will not harm your computer. It will work.

Here are lame instructions.

Start Menu
    Type “1”
    OK

Close the Registry Editor

Open Word or Excel etc.

WM

• Randy said:

The original posted fix worked for me. Thanks!

• Jason said:

worked for me! great. thanks

• Louie said:

It worked perfectly. Thank you very much.

• Rashid said:

Yay, Mick Blu’s solution (see comment #8, posted on December 23rd, 2008 at 5:03 am) worked for me! Thanks so much, Mick! Sundar’s original suggestion unfortunately did not work for me.

• Arun said:

Thanks Mate, this worked !! Thanks for saving from the pain to get rid of those annoying messages.

• Veda Huckabay said:

Perfect work you have done, this web site is really cool with wonderful information.

• mat said:

worked great. thanks Sundar.

• Microsoft Office Fan said:

I expereined exactly the same problem couple of years ago and I couldn’t find a solution to it. I finally got rid of this issue by simply upgrading to Microsoft Office 2007. But this is a great article that can help someone.

• sunny said:

Hi to all,

I tried all these things but my problem still remains i am getting the ” windows configuring the ms-excel please wait….” message and it is taking 2 min time to open the document for every time.

Please suggest me if any one have the sol.

I was opened the excel in safemode from the run tab,but i never see any error message it was opened directly with out error.

• User said:

Thank you, it worked just fine.

• declawing cats said:

Today, I went to the beach with my kids.
    I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said
    “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She placed the shell to
    her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it
    pinched her ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I know
    this is entirely off topic but I had to tell someone!

• Alex Teimao said:

i decided to add another solution, as it`s not always working.
    The reason is because for each symptom there will be a diferrent medicine πŸ˜‰

Note: Ensure to back up registry before making any changes to it.

When you open Word 2007 you get:
    “Please wait while setup prepares the necessary files.”
    And after a couple of minutes it opens, the solution is:

Start Menu = (Type)Run = (copy the line bellow and paste, press “Enter”)

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

Once the value is added, try to open the Word document and check if the issue persists.

I hope the above steps helps.

Alex