Home » Uncategorized

Satyam Employee’s email – Different views

23 January 2009 23 Comments

At a time when almost 90% of my Satyam friends are cribbing about the fraud and betrayal by Ramalinga Raju, I have a slightly different opinion. It’s bold of me to write this in black and white but this comes straight from my heart and experience.

Let me start by quoting an example of 2006. Most of my friends were unemployed with 50-60% plus marks in BTech, with a degree from an average University and hunting madly for a job. Whether people accept it today or not but the truth remains that Satyam was the ONLY saviour and the only mass recruiter who was ready to accept students who had back logs but had cleared them and also it did not put a very strict minimum marks criterion. And this was true not only for my small college at Lucknow but also those across India . Satyam is the fourth largest in IT in India .. Looking at India ‘s population I really want to thank Raju for giving some 54000 Indians jobs atleast for all these years . He was the reason for the revival of confidence and the reason for the bread and butter for many a families.

Satyam training was renowned all over India . Their STC training centre created numerous love stories and unexpected rekindling of a youthful environment where girls and boys were more indepenent than their college days . I remember most of my Satyam friends felt that they made better friends at Satyam’s three to six months training than those in the four years of BTech.

Unfortunately people forget to thank God in sad times . I understand that what Raju did is deplorable and unpardonable. He should have treated business more formally and not dealt with it like a family affair . He should have been strict a couple of months or years before itself. Why did he hire so many non potential candidates and keep them on bench? When were the managers and the team mates last told that if they dont work hard, they will lose their job? Business cannot be run lousily.

I have been staying with some 200 odd girls for the last 2 years and many of them are from Satyam. Moreover I network a lot and I have lots of male friends at Satyam . I have seen how people tail gate to Satyam, how they give their swipe cards to others to swipe it on their behalf , how female employees have gone home sharp at 6am irrespective of when they landed at office, how employees sit at home for months at a stretch, prepare for all kind of post graduate entrance exams and still enjoy a full month’s pay, how often they went for movies at local theatres at office hours, how often employees went to office just to sign on registers in the morning and at evening, how often they faked their certificates , how often they put unlimited fake medical and house rental bills.

How can we blame just one man when EACH AND EVERY person was disloyal ? How can we exclude Auditors like PwC ? How can we exclude the Board of Directors who have washed their hands off so clean? How can we exclude banks who gave hefty loans without true verfication? How can we exclude the Chief Minister of AP who allowed leniency for Raju’s fellow businessman? How can we exclude managers who were never able to trace which bench employee under him had been away from office for how long ?

Yet how can people forget this is the same man whose ideas and potentials gave them an identity for the past several years? How many couples found the right match at an IT industry , courtesy Satyam and how many Andhra farmers benefited from their crores of investments in Satyam shares .How can people forget that Satyam launched its offices right at the doorsteps of a residential colony, where people can simply walk to work ?

The most gruesome experience that I can recollect was when a Satyam tag wearing person was waiting to attend an interview and I overheard him saying that he was in a business meeting at the My Home Satyam ( Madhapur) office when he was sitting right infront of me at a totally different company. When employees themselves show such a lousy attitude and dont care a damn for the brand that they carry around their neck, how can they expect others to care?

I am not saying that ALL Satyam employees are bad. I have known very dedicated people too, but my point is very clear, before pointing fingers at others, introspect .There are thousands of people who have completed certifications at the cost of Satyam, got trained at Satyam. Satyam made several freshers stand on their feet to get better jobs elsewhere across the globe and attain onsite exposure through Satyam.

What Raju did was to keep the business of Satyam going at any cost. I see a very smart man in him when he understood that he should rather accept his mistake than be caught by the USA laws . I see a selfish father in him too that he put a lot at stake for Maytas. However, he resigned with a lot of dignity and his letter of resignation shows humility. It takes a mammoth amount of courage to accept your mistake in public at a time when the media is ready to blow everything out of proportion. If humans dont make mistakes who else would ?

My last salute to this man is for creating such mass employment in India for 57k employees and 57k families when even opening a beetle(pan) shop in a lane in India is a challenge !! Thanks to him for creating income for all the thousands of families who benefited through food chains, the tiffin wallahs, the transport people and all those who made money by renting their houses.

I read he donated Rs 12000 crores from his personal pocket to give the January salary of his Satyam employees. Today Satyamites call Raju a FRAUD. The true and loyal Satyamites surely have all the reasons to say this word.. But all the rest who sucked every rupee out of Satyam without doing any value addition need to understand – who was a bigger fraud.

Comments

comments

• Sathya said:

Wow… Interesting views… where from da?

Cheers,
    Sathya

• Pradeep said:

Thats really a good one!!

• Vidhyashankar said:

Thats a completely different view. Nice one man..

• Krishna said:

Excuse me, I beg to differ! Its a leader’s responsibility to motivate his followers and Mr. Raju is to be blamed for that as well. And more recent news seems to be indicating that Satyam did not have 50k or so employees, it was just a way to siphon more money. You seem to be appreciating him for giving bread and butter to 50k employees, but because of his fraudulent act, he has now put all his employees’ life at a big risk.

• Sathya said:

Krishna>> I wouldnt want to counter what you have mentioned… but I assume you must be aware of the headcount inflation that every service company in India does? Of course no company would have that printed in its Annual Report…but havent you heard this from friends working there or travelling onsite?

• Smruti said:

Bravo dude..bravo!!!

• krishna said:

Nice work. Do u know the fact that the every fresher should pay 2 lakhs to the company after selecting?

• Nancy said:

So which of the info is right……Krishna’s or urs????

Anyways thanks for the read…..it was interesting:-)).

• Smilie said:

Sundar,

very well written post. Many of what you had written about employees are absolutely true.

I am a first timer in your blog and its really interesting !

• Alexwebmaster said:

Hello webmaster
    I would like to share with you a link to your site
    write me here preonrelt@mail.ru

• Kiran said:

Hi Dude,

Very interesting view……N u r right tat only an unemployed person knows the value of a job

• Soni said:

Krishna, no fresher need to pay 2 lakhs to the company after selecting.
    It is that they need to deposit the money as a bond for their bondperiod at Satyam.You will get back the money once you complete the bond period(along with interest for 2 years).

• Naveen Kiran said:

Hello friends.. good or Bad what has happened has happened, neither we can change the past nor stop what is going to happen. A thousand times I’ve told myself it’s over,, why should we know all the answers but the story has just begun and friends what’s done is done. It’s time to change and leave the past behind. Good Luck..

• Naveen Kiran said:

Hello friends.. good or Bad what has happened has happened, neither we can change the past nor we stop what is going to happen. A thousand times I’ve told myself it’s over,, why should we know all the answers but the story has just begun and friends what’s done is done. It’s time to change and leave the past behind. Good Luck..

• Akhilesh said:

Yeah it is truely true naveen, i accept ur comment.why to run behind some thing when we can nt change the past.

• Rajesh said:

That’s excellent. every one should realize the fact. Satyam employees should also has to realize their level of loyalty

• Shakti said:

Past, loyalty, bond amount, Mr . Raju etc… every thing is there… Whatever is done is done. ok. There is nothing good or bad about it. It is just a business. Some are enjoying profit and some are not. No hard feelings.
    But i appreciate ur writting skills. you know very well how to play with human emotions.
    I want to say to the all folks “Do well in ur carrer. Enjoy all the happiness and keep reacting….

• Naveen Kiran said:

Hello Shakti

I respect your suggestion.

Thank you.

• Priya said:

well, wad every one saying here is fact in one or other way.

Those who dont ve jobs were blessed with jobs in a such a nice organisation bcoz of dat great person.

But Just think once abt dem who are abt to build their carrers, Those who were happy with wad dey ve until few months back and how this sudden change had destroyed their happy life. Dont think abt the person who lost his job think abt their whole family.

I am not against ny one..
    I still ve respect towards Raju sir
    Wad i request u all is just leave wad ever is happened,
    Now wadz d use of doin dis. Lets not pull ny ones legs.

My appeal for the writer
    I accept wad ever u ve written over here is 100% correct.. But ur respect towards Mr.Raju is degrading him more.. and u need to realise dat everything will ve both sides try to think frm others point of view also.

My appeal for others who ve posted negative comments:
    I can understand ur anguish, but plz dont react for all these things, and wad ever is happened is not bcoz of one person..
    So please be cool
    Wish u all the best

• Venkat said:

That was a 360″ approach to the scenario that has been prevailing in SATYAM.

The article is articulated well to capture the mentalities of the SATYAMITE.

The Satyam story just remembers me the GOLDEN DUCK story which all of us had a chance to hear during our childhood.

Whatever that is mentioned is true without any exaggeration, and every one of us has the credit in spoiling the GOLDEN DUCK.

• Kutty said:

Excellent! Thats really a good one!!

• ajith said:

well said, people should realize that, even they are also a culprit, betrayer or watsoever, if they dont yield their knowledge to the company which pays salary.

• Law Professionals said:

watsup individuals I love Your website can’t state I come right here frequently however i’m loving things i see so far..